What’s Thanksgiving dinner without a serving of cranberries? There are numerous ways to prepare cranberries, fresh, frozen or canned and I have prepared many a cranberry dish but my all time favorite is my Cranberry Gelatin Mold with a simple cream cheese topping.
In fact, my daughter Allison, who was not fond of cooking, did take this recipe with her when she was on her own and entertaining or needed to bring a dish to a dinner. This was one she would fix and received raves. It was a joy for me to see her prepare this recipe. It can be made days in advance and unmolded just before serving. Enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 packages sugar-free jello (any red gelatin, i.e. blackcherry, raspberry)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 15-oz can mandarin oranges
- Serve with cream cheese topping (see recipe)
- Cook cranberries according to directions on back of package for cranberry sauce. Set aside and cool thoroughly.
- Dissolve gelatin in hot water, stir in cold water.
- Add chopped walnuts and mandarin oranges.
- Pour into a tube pan (mold or bowl) and refrigerate until Jell-O is firm.
- Invert mold onto serving platter.
- 16 oz. package of Philadelphia cream cheese
- Milk (about ¼ cup)
- Soften cream cheese at room temperature.
- Once soften, slowly add milk a little at a time, and beat with hand mixer until cheese reaches a pourable stage (thick cream)
- Pour into serving bowl.
- Use as a topping over a serving of cranberry gelatin.