Need a special dish to take to a Potluck Supper or for a family reunion or for a special treat for your family? It’s Baked Ziti! This is a delicious casserole that is quick and easy to make. The cooks in my family would make Baked Ziti as often as people would fix Macaroni and Cheese. I always have some Marinara Sauce on hand and with just a few other ingredients, I am ready to prepare Baked Ziti. It can be prepared with whole wheat pasta as well as regular pasta and you can use whole milk ricotta, or part skim milk ricotta or even fat-free ricotta. Whichever you use, you are bound to get compliments. I am sure there will be those who will want second helpings when you serve this recipe for Baked Ziti. Enjoy!
- 1/2 lb ziti
- 15 ounce container ricotta cheese (whole milk, low-fat or skim milk)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (save some for topping)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Marinara sauce (homemade or store bought)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Cook Ziti in boiling salted water until al dente (firm, not soft). Drain and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, mix until well blended ricotta cheese, beaten egg, shredded mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, minced garlic. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Coat bottom of quart size casserole dish with marinara sauce add the pasta to casserole dish. Add some marinara sauce enough to coat pasta. Add the ricotta mixture and blend into the pasta. Place more marinara sauce on top of pasta and finish by topping with additional shredded mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover dish and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake additional 15 to 20 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately and have some additional Marinara sauce for those who want more sauce.