Italian Turkey Stuffing Recipe
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and do you find yourself going through magazines and television food shows searching for new and different recipes to make for Thanksgiving dinner? Each year I find myself doing just that but in the end I still find myself cooking our traditional favorites.
One recipe which my Mom made every year, and my sister followed the tradition, is her Italian sausage and bread stuffing. Mom always cooked from scratch and I knew my sister made this stuffing every Thanksgiving so when I asked her for the recipe she was happy to pass it on, but her first statement was “I can give you the ingredients and the procedure but the amounts I leave up to you”.
So typical of my family of great cooks, as they ALL cooked from scratch, I figured out the amounts which I will pass on to you, but you do not need to be precise in the amounts as it will be determined by how much bread you start with. I planned this recipe using 8 cups of bread cubed.
Stuffing for a 12/16 lb. turkey
- 8 cups day old bread cubed (white, whole wheat, Italian)
- 3 or 4 links sweet Italian sausage removed from casing
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl crumble bread into large cubes and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in large frying pan. Remove casing from sausage and add to frying pan and cook sausage while crumbling with spatula until brown and well cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add more olive oil to frying pan and sauté chopped celery and onion and cooked until soft.
- Add sausage and celery and onions to bread cubes and mix well.
- Add salt, pepper and poultry seasoning and mix well.
- Add mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, and two beaten eggs to mixture and mix well.
- Add enough chicken broth to moisten the bread mixture till soft and moist.
- Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray and place bread stuffing in casserole.
- Cover casserole with aluminum foil to seal and then cover with casserole lid.
- Bake in oven along with turkey for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and keep warm until ready to serve.
Note: You can use turkey or chicken Italian sausage as an alternative to reduce the fat.
Filed under: Italian Food
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!