A delicious, easy, and special recipe for two is my Cornish Hens with Orange/Wine Sauce. I have been married for 48 years and this was one of the first recipes I made for my husband on Valentine’s Day. It is among his favorites and whenever I want a special dinner for two, I make Cornish Hens. Not only is this convenient for two, but I have also made this many times for dinner parties of four and even six. Just double or triple the recipe and you will have a dish that is sure to impress. Anyone just starting to cook will enjoy the simplicity of this recipe and the gourmet touch it presents!
- 2 Cornish Hens
- 1 box Long Grain & Wild Rice (Uncle Ben’s original recipe)
- Olive oil or 2 Tbs. softened butter/margarine
- Poultry seasoning (or Paul Prudhomme’s Poultry Magic)
- 6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate
- 3/4 cups red dry wine (Burgundy, Chianti, Abruzzo)
- 4.5 oz jar sliced or button mushrooms drained
(I just made my first YouTube video and chose this Cornish Hens recipe for it. So you can watch me prepare it in person!)
- Preheat oven to 375 °.
- Cook Long Grain & Wild Rice according to directions on package. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Thaw orange concentrate and add wine and drained mushrooms. Set aside.
- Stuff Cornish hens with cooked rice and tie legs together to hold stuffing in hen.
- Coat hens with olive oil (or coat with softened butter) and sprinkle seasoning all over Cornish hens.
- Place in shallow roasting pan and roast until cooked. 35-40 minutes.
- When hens are brown and skin crispy pour orange, wine, mushroom mixture over hens. Roast 20 minutes, basting occasionally, till skins are crispy and wine sauce has thickened.
Serve immediately. Place sauce in gravy boat and serve along with Cornish hens. A green vegetable (peas, broccoli) completes the meal. Enjoy!