This was a meal made on Fridays when we were fasting from meat or poultry. Nothing tasted as fresh as this when zucchini was in season.
However, you can find zucchini year round in the produce section or farm stands, so this is an excellent meatless dish year round.
- 2 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 green pepper or red pepper
- 1 onion small
- 2 carrots peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 medium russet potatoes (Idaho or red potatoes)
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (1 tsp. dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (1 tsp. dried)
- Black pepper
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
Chop pepper, carrots and celery in 1 inch pieces.
Finely chop onion.
Finely mince garlic cloves.
Peel and cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
Wash and slice zucchini into ½ inch slices.
1. In Dutch oven heat olive oil, enough to cover bottom of pot, on medium heat.
2. Add pepper, carrots, celery. Sauté until vegetables are slightly tender.
3. Add onion and minced garlic. Sauté until soft.
4. Season vegetables with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.(optional red crushed pepper).
5. Stir in 2 cans crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Add basil and parsley. Cover pot and stir occasionally. Cook until potatoes are tender. 45-50 minutes.
6. Add zucchini and cook till zucchini is tender. 20-30 minutes.
7. Check for taste and add more salt or pepper if needed. (Optional: add more chopped basil).
Serve hot in bowls. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and warm Italian bread. Fried Polenta is a delicious additional to this meal.