My Mom and Dad always planted a vegetable garden in their backyard where they happily grew produce, which we enjoyed for months. They would grow tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, and basil. Mom was ingenious in planning meals around their crop of vegetables.
Mom and Dad would always have an abundance of zucchini and Mom came up with some delicious ways to prepare zucchini. One I especially enjoyed was her version of Zucchini Crustless Quiche. It is a simple dish to prepare and can be served as an entree or a side dish served warm, or at room temperature. This is an inexpensive and delicious dish to prepare especially when zucchini is in season during the late summer months.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large onions chopped
- 1/2 cup oil (canola, vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Reduced-Fat Bisquick®
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat quiche pan or cake pan well with oil.
- Do not peel zucchini. Slice into thin pieces and arrange a layer on bottom of pan. Set aside pan and save remaining zucchini to add to mixture.
- In large bowl beat 4 eggs.
- Stir in Bisquick mix, oil, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, chopped onion, and sliced zucchini. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour into oiled pan.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes until top is golden brown and firm to touch.
- While still warm loosen sides from pan.
- Cool before slicing. Serve warm or room temperature.